It’s important to clean your gutters every spring and fall to remove any debris that might have built up. If you don’t clean your gutters frequently, it can prevent water from draining properly.
When water doesn’t drain correctly, it can cause damage to your roof and fascia. It can also pool near your foundation and cause damage or seep into your home. Water that seeps into your home isn’t covered by homeowners insurance, so any resulting damage can be devastating to homeowners.
Water damage is avoidable with some simple steps.
Tips for cleaning your gutters:
- Use a ladder instead of cleaning them from the roof
- Make sure your ladder is on solid, stable, level ground
- Use hooks to attach a bucket to your ladder for tools or debris
- Wear work gloves to protect your hands from sharp objects
- Remove debris near the downspout first
- Remove loose debris and flush out the rest with a hose (try not to spray under your shingles)
- Flush out the downspout and reattach
- Use a level to make sure your gutters are sloping down
- Fix any leaks with gutter sealant
- Consider adding gutter guards to keep most debris out of your gutters
Cleaning your gutters is a simple project that is well worth the time and effort. If you don’t feel comfortable or are unable to clean your gutters yourself, you can hire a professional to help you maintain them.
In Denver, you can expect to pay anywhere from $125-$300+ on average. Your cost will depend on the square footage of your home, the number of stories, and the pitch of your roof. The more stories and steeper the pitch, the more difficult and dangerous the job is, so that will cost more.