Flood Insurance

We'll compare over 20 companies so you can make the right choice.



What is it?

Flood Insurance is provided by the federal government’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and as a result, flood losses of any kind are specifically excluded from Homeowners Insurance. In order to have coverage for flooding, you would need to purchase a NFIP flood policy. There are a handful of insurance carriers that offer an endorsement for Flood Insurance on Homeowners Insurance policies, but only if the home is not located in a high-risk flood zone.

What's covered?

Coverage provided by the NFIP is more limited than the coverage on Homeowners Insurance and does not cover loss of use or loss of rental income. You can purchase the following coverages up to the maximum limit listed:

  • Dwelling: You can purchase up to $250,000 of coverage for the structure of your home, however there is no coverage offered for any other structures such as detached garages, sheds, or fences.
  • Personal property: You can purchase up to $100,000 of coverage for your belongings in the home.

How does it work?

  1. If you have a loss: Call us at (303) 597-1667 as soon as possible for claim assistance.
  2. If your home or business is located in a NFIP-participating community, you are eligible to purchase Flood Insurance for the property. Communities that participate agree to adopt and enforce floodplain management regulations to help mitigate the effects of flooding on structures.
  3. If your home or business is located in a high-risk flood zone, you may be required by your mortgage company to purchase Flood Insurance.
  4. Even if you do not live in a designated high-risk flood zone, you can benefit from Flood Insurance and the coverage will be less expensive than if you were in a high-risk area. More than 20% of flood claims come from properties that are not located in a high-risk area.
  5. You do not need to own a home or business to purchase Flood Insurance, you can get coverage even if you are renting in order to protect your belongings.