• OneDigital has acquired Integrity First Insurance. Learn more.
Click to Call
Integrity First, A OneDigital Company

4275 S Broadway
Englewood, CO 80113

Get Directions
Colorado Insurance Blog

Car Insurance FAQs

Sometimes a car insurance policy looks like it’s in a foreign language. And that’s just looking at the declarations page. If you try to read the actual policy to get the answers to your questions, it’s like reading gibberish. Here are some common car insurance questions answered by a licensed insurance agent.

If you don’t see your question answered, give us a call. We will gladly answer any questions you have, we’re here to help!

What can I do to lower my car insurance rates?

There are several ways you can lower your rates, but I don’t recommend lowering your coverage to save a few bucks.

One option is to increase your Comprehensive and Collision deductibles. You can also ask your agent if you’re getting all the discounts available. Another way to lower your premium is to enroll in a telematics program through your carrier.

The best long term way to get lower rates is to drive safely. A clean driving record without any accidents will get you the best rate.

Am I covered if I rent a car?

Most insurance carriers will extend the same coverage you have on your vehicles to a car that you rent.

If you only have liability coverage on your vehicle, that is the only coverage that will extend to a rental car. You wouldn’t have comprehensive or collision coverage to protect the rental car. In that situation, you’d need to buy coverage through the rental car company.

Every insurance company has different guidelines when it comes to rental cars. Some carriers do have gross weight limits or usage limitations. It’s important to ask your agent about your policy before assuming you have coverage.

Does my kid need to get their own car insurance when they go to college?

In most situations, your kid is still considered a household member when they are away at school.

You should leave your kid on your auto policy until:

  • They aren’t in school anymore
  • You don’t claim them as a dependent
  • They’re financially independent
  • They have their own primary mailing address

At that point, they are no longer considered a household member and need their own auto policy.

If you’re not sure when is the right time to separate them from your policy, call or email us today. We can review your situation and guide you in the right direction.

What is “Full Coverage”?

The term “full coverage” is often thrown around when talking about car insurance. It doesn’t mean your car would be fully covered if there was an accident. The truth is, there is no such thing as “full coverage”.

There are coverages, like liability, that you’re required to have. And there are optional coverages, like comprehensive, collision, glass, and roadside assistance. When someone uses the term “full coverage,” they’re usually referring to optional coverages.

The problem is that “full coverage” means something different to everyone. One agent might interpret “full coverage” to mean only comprehensive and collision coverage. While another might add in roadside assistance and glass.

If an agent says your policy or quote has “full coverage,” ask them to be more specific. You might assume it includes a coverage and be left paying for it at claim time.

How is Medical Payments coverage different from Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage?

Medical Payments coverage extends for injuries sustained by the people in your vehicle. The coverage can be used regardless of who is at-fault in the accident. There is usually a limit of $5,000/person, though that can vary.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is also for the people in your vehicle. The coverage limits generally match the liability limits on your policy. But coverage only extends in certain situations.

Uninsured Motorist coverage will extend if someone without insurance hits you. Underinsured Motorist coverage extends when the driver that hits you is considered underinsured. That means their liability limits are lower than yours and don’t fully cover your injuries. In that situation your policy will pay for the rest, up to your limits.

Does my auto insurance cover me if I use my vehicle for delivery (pizza, Amazon, Door Dash)?

Car insurance questions about delivery and rideshare.

Most insurance carriers don’t provide coverage for any type of delivery service. That is generally considered a commercial risk.

If you use your car for delivery and you’re not sure you have the right coverage, give us a call or request a quote today!

Does my car insurance cover things I leave in my car?

Most auto policies will not cover your personal property, just the car itself. Your belongings might be covered by your homeowners or renters insurance. That will depend on your policy and the cause of loss.

Connect With Us

for all your insurance needs!


Partner Carriers

  • American Modern
  • ASI
  • Auto-Owners
  • Central Insurance Companies
  • Chubb
  • Dairyland Auto Cycle Insurance
  • Dundee Mutual
  • Encompass
  • FIGO
  • Foremost
  • Grinnell Mutual
  • Hagerty
  • Halstad
  • Liberty Mutual
  • MetLife
  • Midland National
  • Nationwide
  • Philadelphia Insurance Companies
  • Progressive
  • Safeco
  • Travelers

Servicing these States

  • Colorado
  • North Dakota
  • Minnesota

Latest News

Follow by Email