Auto Insurance

We'll compare over 20 companies so you can make the right choice.



What is it?

Auto Insurance is designed to financially protect you in the event of an automobile loss. Liability coverage is required by most states, but there are also many optional coverages you can add to protect your vehicle and your passengers.

What's covered?

Each policy can be tailored to your specific needs, but these are some of the coverages available on most auto insurance policies:

  • Liability (bodily injury and property damage): If you are determined to be at-fault in an accident, this coverage pays for the resulting medical bills or costs to repair the damaged property of the other party.
  • Comprehensive: This coverage extends for damage to your vehicle caused by non-collision events, like theft, fire, or hail.
  • Collision: If your vehicle is damaged in a collision, this coverage will pay to repair your vehicle.
  • Uninsured/underinsured motorist: This coverage will extend for your injuries and the injuries of your passengers if you are not-at-fault in an accident but the other driver either flees the scene or does not have insurance. Underinsured motorist coverage will extend if the at-fault party has insurance with liability limits lower than yours and it is insufficient to cover your injuries.
  • Medical payments: This coverage can extend to pay for injuries you or your passengers sustain in an accident, regardless of who was at-fault for the accident.
  • Roadside assistance: This coverage varies by carrier, but generally extends for towing, fuel delivery, tire change, jumpstart and lockout.
  • Loss of use: This is commonly referred to as “Rental Car Coverage.” If you have this coverage and your vehicle is damaged in a covered loss, the policy will pay up to the policy limit to provide a rental car for the time that your vehicle is disabled.
  • GAP coverage: GAP coverage will extend to cover the difference between the actual cash value of the vehicle and the amount you owe on the loan or lease if the vehicle is deemed a total loss.

How does it work?

  1. If you have a loss: Call us at (303) 597-1667 as soon as possible for claim assistance.
  2. You are required to have liability insurance in order to drive any vehicle, but beyond that you can choose which other coverages you add to your policy based on the value of your vehicle and the coverages that are important to you.
  3. If you file a claim for damage to your vehicle, you will be subject to your comprehensive or collision deductible. The deductible is per occurrence, not per policy term.
  4. Auto Insurance does not cover mechanical failure of your vehicle.
  5. Your vehicle is not covered by your Homeowners Insurance, even if it is parked in the garage.

Related Blogs


Auto Insurance FAQs

Does my kid need to get their own auto insurance when they go to college?

In most situations, your kid is still considered a household member when they are away at school and they should still be listed as a driver on your auto insurance. Once they are no longer considered your dependent, they are completely financially independent from you, and they have their own primary mailing address, they are no longer considered a household member and cannot be covered under your insurance.

For more tips about insuring your kid while they are in college, see our blog Read this guide if you're sending your kid to college.

What is “Full Coverage”?

Though it is a term used often in insurance, there is really no such thing as “Full Coverage.” Often times when that phrase is used, it simply refers to having optional coverages on your vehicle in addition to the liability coverage that is required by law. Since every insurance carrier offers different coverages, there is no common grouping of coverages that falls under the term “Full Coverage.”

How is Medical Payments coverage different from Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage?

Medical payments coverage usually has a limit of $5,000 per person, though that can vary, and it extends for injuries sustained by you and the passengers in your vehicle, regardless of who is at-fault in the accident. Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is also for you and the passengers in your vehicle, but the limits generally match the liability limits on your policy, and the coverage will not extend if you are at-fault in an accident. Uninsured Motorist coverage will extend if you are hit by someone who does not have insurance, or who flees the scene of the accident. Underinsured Motorist coverage will extend if the other driver is at-fault but their coverage is less than yours and is insufficient to pay for all of the injuries incurred in the accident.

Our blog Pay only for what you need? This is why you need Uninsured Motorist coverage explains why it is important to have Uninsured Motorist coverage.

What is “Comprehensive” coverage?

Comprehensive coverage pays for damage to your vehicle from causes not related to a collision. This is an optional coverage that you can add to your auto policy for additional premium. Common losses covered by Comprehensive coverage include fire, theft, vandalism, hail, and falling objects.

Am I covered if I rent a car?

You’ll want to check with your agent or insurance company since every carrier has different guidelines, however most insurance carriers will extend the same coverage you have on your vehicles to a car that you rent. If you only have liability coverage on your vehicle, that is the only coverage that will extend to a rental car so it would be prudent to purchase coverage through the rental car company. Some carriers do have gross weight limits or usage limitations, so it is important to check that you have coverage before making any assumptions.

What can I do to lower my auto insurance costs?

Some options for lowering your insurance costs include increasing your Comprehensive and Collision deductibles and checking to make sure you are getting any applicable discounts.

See our blog, 10 ways to get the best insurance rates in Colorado without losing coverage for more tips on how to save!

Does my auto insurance cover me if I use my vehicle for delivery (pizza, Amazon, Door Dash)?

Most insurance carriers will not provide coverage for any type of delivery service, that is generally considered a commercial risk.

See our blog Food delivery drivers need to understand these three things.

Does my car insurance cover my belongings in my car?

The belongings in your car are generally covered under the Personal Property coverage on your homeowners, condo or renters insurance. Most auto policies will not cover your personal property, just the car itself.